Personal assistance (LSS)
Personal assistance is a personally designed support which is provided to people who, due to serious and long-lasting functional impairments, need help to accomodate their basic needs.
Personal assistance may be provided to people who belong to category 1, 2 or 3 according to Article 1 of the LSS. IVO issues authorisations to provide the service in the form of a company and receives notifications from assistance users who arrange their own assistance (who employ their assistants themselves). IVO also exercises supervision over how the service is operated.
Application for permit
An application for permit should be submitted in writing. You can choose between e-service or form:
When applying for a permit to provide personal assistance, it is of utmost importance to clearly describe how the provider will adapt the services for each individual as best as possible. It is also important to ensure that each question is answered and that all requested appendices are submitted with the application.
If you employ a personal assistant yourself
For a company to receive authorisation to provide personal assistance services, the person seeking authorisation is required to show that the owner and management have sufficient knowledge and experience. The company's representatives must be able to show that they are familiar with the requirements that are in place in accordance with the LSS and other relevant legislation.
IVO also assesses the suitability of the owner and management, inter alia. The assessment of suitability includes the operator, e.g. a company which is seeking authorisation. The management and owner are also assessed, but other physical persons who are judged to have a decisive influence over the service, e.g. through their position, are also included.
If you employ a personal assistant yourself, you don't need an authorisation from IVO but you must notify IVO of your service.
Legal requirement for authorisation/licensing
- 23 § lagen (1993:387) om stöd och service till vissa funktionshindrade, LSS, Sveriges Riksdag
- 8-10 §§ förordningen (1993:1090) om stöd och service till vissa funktionshindrade, Sveriges Riksdag
- Proposition (2009/10:176) Personlig assistans och andra insatser - åtgärder för ökad kvalitet och trygghet, sid. 22-43,
- Lag (1993:387) om stöd och service till vissa funktionshindrade, 9 § 2 LSS, Sveriges Riksdag
- Proposition (1992/93:159) om stöd och service till vissa funktionshindrade, sid. 60-74, 174-177, Sveriges Riksdag
- Om personkretsarna, 1 § LSS, Sveriges Riksdag
The requirement for register control of personnel
- Lag (2010:479) om registerkontroll av personal som utför vissa insatser åt barn med funktionshinder, Sveriges Riksdag
- Proposition 2009/10:176, sid. 36-43, Sveriges Riksdag
Management system for systematic quality work
Legal obligation to report concern for a child's welfare
- Dokumentationsplikt 21 a-21 d §§ LSS, Sveriges Riksdag
- Socialstyrelsens föreskrifter och allmänna råd (SOSFS 2014:5). Dokumentation i verksamhet som bedrivs med stöd av SoL, LVU, LVM och LSS
- Socialstyrelsens handbok: Handläggning och dokumentation inom socialtjänsten